Premiums & Deductibles
The basic or minimum individual deductible is $2,500. A deductible is only triggered when the Professional Liability Program (PLP) incurs expenses on a member’s behalf, i.e. when PLP resolves a matter by making a monetary payment, pays legal fees to defend a dentist, or when an expert is retained to deliver an opinion and the expert charges a fee for this service.
Step-up deductibles are as follows:
- $5,000 for the member who has had one prior claim in the previous 84 months
- $10,000 for the member who has had two prior claims in the previous 84 months
- $20,000 for the member who has had more than two prior claims in the previous 84 months.
For claims opened before 2010, the deductible formula in place in the year the file was opened will apply. The RCDSO Council has authorized the waiver of deductibles in certain circumstances:
- in case of the member’s death, the deductible is automatically waived
- in case of the member’s bankruptcy, the deductible is automatically waived with proof of bankruptcy
The PLP Committee has discretion to reduce or waive a member’s deductible in the following situations:
the legal action or claim against the member was without merit;
on compassionate grounds due to prolonged, serious illness or other significant difficulties (in such circumstances, conditions may be placed on the waiver or reduction).
Request to waive or reduce a deductible
A request to waive or reduce a deductible should be in writing, addressed to the Committee and sent to the PLP Advisor who handled the claim. The request will be presented to the Committee at an upcoming meeting. The request should include the reasons for the request and, where appropriate, a description of the measures taken by the member to remediate the deficiencies giving rise to the underlying claim for compensation.